Monday, June 24, 2013

Week One in the Bag

I think this past week has been successful, overall. I went to the gym Mon-Thurs last week and I watched what I ate. Low carb. Mostly Phase One of the South Beach Diet. I've been eating lots of salads w/ various proteins in it, tuna fish stuffed in cucumbers and the like. I am trying to stay away from red meat as much as possible, limiting myself to maybe one serving a week. So, lots of chicken. I wish I could eat some fish. I love fish, but I am the only person in my house who does. I may have to find some way around this that does not involve me being a short order cook.

One of the things that I really find hard is breakfast. On Monday and Wednesday mornings my oldest daughter has swim practice at 8am, which means we have to be out of bed by 7. We barely get up and get out of the door on time, let alone making breakfast. So, I decided that I'd maybe try out some protein powder mixed with lactose-free milk for breakfast. We went to the Vitamin Shoppe and asked for recommendations. The guy there said he uses Dyamatize Iso-100 and recommended it. So, we got a barrel (yes, it comes in these huge plastic barrel-looking containers) of the "Gourmet Vanilla" flavor. While I don't find anything gourmet about it, it does taste rather decent. If  I am sleepy enough I can trick my brain into thinking it's a milkshake for breakfast. We got Blender Bottles (highly recommend these things) and whip up a protein shake in the morning as we run out the door. It seems to do the trick. I don't get hungry until lunch time and it holds me through my morning workout, which I do after swim practice. Now...hopefully over the next week we will see if it aids in weight loss.

Speaking of weight loss, I am down five pounds since starting last Monday. I would say that's not bad at all. Of course, my husband loves to rub in my face that he is not exercising and has lost 15 lbs, but whatever. I am finding this challenging to do between swim practice at o'dark:30 and having to drag the girls to the Y on Tuesdays and Thursdays so that I can fin, but I figure that come September, when they go back to school, that it will seem like a breeze after toting them around all summer. I feel bad that I drag them to the Y four days a week, but two of those days we are there for swim practice anyway and the two days that I fin I take them swimming outside after my class is over, which they really enjoy.

Progress is being made and that's the important part, I guess.



Starting Weight: 195 lbs.
Current Weight: 190 lbs.
Short Term Goal: 170 lbs.
Long Term Goal: 145 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment